Advisory Report (AR)

An Advisory Report (AR) is a legal document that accompanies a Display Energy Certificate (DEC).  It contains recommendations that could be implemented by an organisation to improve their energy efficiency and reduce their carbon footprint.  Implementing these measures is also likely to reduce energy bills helping both businesses and non-profit organisations reduce their running costs.

Advisory Reports are currently in the process of being renamed to Recommendation Reports to match the terminology used with EPCs.  However, the two documents remain very different in their content.

To find out more about obtaining an Advisory Report – click here.

To find out more about training to produce Advisory Reports – click here.

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is ongoing training many professionals have to undertake to ensure that they keep up-to-date with developments in their field.  Whilst initial qualifications are often obtained to enter a profession, professionals continue to develop their knowledge through their careers.  Some of this development comes as experience from the projects and tasks they complete, but this is supported by more formal training and research called CPD.

All accredited energy assessors have to complete minimum standards of CPD to ensure that they know about current practice and remain familiar with the legal requirements in effect.  They also have to make sure they know about new technologies and how these can be best used to improve energy efficiency.

Effective Continuing Professional Development can take many forms.  Some CPD can take the form of private research and reading whilst visit relevant conferences, shows and exhibitions is also generally considered effective CPD.  Many professionals will subscribe to professional bodies who provide updates, journals and newsletters.  All accredited energy assessors have to join a government approved Accreditation Scheme (Approved Organisation in Scotland) who also provide CPD opportunities.  These are also numerous courses available from training organisations, some of which lead to recognised qualifications.

To find out more about Continuing Professional Development opportunities – click here.

Display Energy Certificate (DEC)

A Display Energy Certificate or DEC is a legal document designed to show how efficiently energy is being used in a building.  They look similar to the more common Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) but whilst the EPC focuses on how efficient a building is based upon its construction, a DEC assesses how well energy use is managed.  They show a rating on a scale from ‘A’ (the most efficient) to ‘G’ (the least efficient).

Display Energy Certificates are used to promote good energy management by organisations and are mandatory for many public buildings like hospitals, academies, museums and council offices in England & Wales.  A DEC is usually accompanied by an Advisory Report (AR), due to be renamed as a Recommendation Report (RR), which makes suggestions as to how energy can be used more efficiently by the organisation.

To find out more about obtaining a Display Energy Certificate – click here.

To find out more about training to produce Display Energy Certificates – click here.

DEC Example
An example Display Energy Certificate (DEC)

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An Energy Performance Certificate or EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.  It also provides an assessment of the impact the property has upon the environment using a similar scale for emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2).

EPCs are available for both domestic and non-domestic properties but they are both different.  The process involved in producing a non-domestic EPC is more complex and both certificates are formatted differently.  In both cases the certificate comes with recommendations for improving the energy efficiency of the building.  For domestic properties these are included on the certificate whilst for non-domestic premises they are provided in a separate report.

To find out more about getting an Energy Performance Certificate for a domestic property – click here.

To find out more about getting an Energy Performance Certificate for a non-domestic property – click here.

To find out how you can qualify to provide Energy Performance Certificates – click here.

Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD)

The Directive on the energy performance of buildings (EPBD) is the Directive 2002/91/EC (EPBD, 2003) of the European Parliament and Council on energy efficiency of buildings. The Directive came into force on 4 January 2003 and had to be implemented by the EU Member States at the latest on 4 January 2006.

Click here to find out more.

Gross Internal Area (GIA)

Gross Internal Area (GIA) is the area of a building measured to the internal face of the perimeter walls at each floor level, which includes:

  • Areas occupied by internal walls and partitions;
  • Columns, piers chimney breasts, stairwells, lift-wells, other internal projections, vertical ducts, and the like;
  • Atria and entrance halls with clear height above, measured at base level only;
  • Internal open sided balconies, walkways, and the like;
  • Structural, raked or stepped floors are treated as a level floor measured horizontally;
  • Horizontal floors with permanent access below structural, raked or stepped floors;
  • Corridors of a permanent essential nature (eg fire corridors, smoke lobbies, etc);
  • Areas in the roof space intended for use with permanent access;
  • Mezzanine areas intended for use with permanent access;
  • Lift rooms, plant rooms, fuel stores, tank rooms which are housed in a covered structure of a permanent nature, whether or not above main roof level;
  • Service accommodation such as toilets, toilet lobbies, bathrooms, showers, changing rooms, cleaners’ rooms and the like
    Projection rooms;
  • Voids over stairwells and lift shafts on upper floors;
  • Loading bays;
  • Areas with a headroom of less than 1.5m;
  • Pavement vaults;
  • Garages; and
  • Conservatories.

The GIA excludes:

  • Perimeter wall thickness and external projections;
  • External open-sided balconies, covered ways and fire escapes;
  • Canopies;
  • Voids over or under structural, raked or stepped floors;
  • Greenhouses, garden stores, fuel stores and the like in residential property; and
  • Open ground floors and the like.

To meet international standards, a slightly different definition can sometimes be applied to offices.  However, in this context we are primarily interested with the GIA of the actual building.

Source: RICS

This website uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. Additionally we may collect information you agree to share with us. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy.