What types of tenancies are covered by MEES? Does it apply to properties occupied under Licence?

The tenancy types that the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) applies to are:

  • An assured tenancy (including an assured short hold tenancy) defined in the Housing Act 1988.
  • A regulated tenancy defined in the Rent Act 1977.
  • An agricultural tenancy as set out in the Energy Efficiency (Domestic Private Rented Property) Order 2015.

The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 only apply to tenancies in the private rented sector.  They do not apply to properties owned by councils and social landlords.  Similarly, they do not apply to properties occupied under licence without a qualifying tenancy.

This website uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. Additionally we may collect information you agree to share with us. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy.