Tag Archives: Sustainability

Advisory Report (AR)

An Advisory Report (AR) is a legal document that accompanies a Display Energy Certificate (DEC).  It contains recommendations that could be implemented by an organisation to improve their energy efficiency and reduce their carbon footprint.  Implementing these measures is also likely to reduce energy bills helping both businesses and non-profit organisations reduce their running costs.

Advisory Reports are currently in the process of being renamed to Recommendation Reports to match the terminology used with EPCs.  However, the two documents remain very different in their content.

To find out more about obtaining an Advisory Report – click here.

To find out more about training to produce Advisory Reports – click here.

Display Energy Certificate (DEC)

A Display Energy Certificate or DEC is a legal document designed to show how efficiently energy is being used in a building.  They look similar to the more common Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) but whilst the EPC focuses on how efficient a building is based upon its construction, a DEC assesses how well energy use is managed.  They show a rating on a scale from ‘A’ (the most efficient) to ‘G’ (the least efficient).

Display Energy Certificates are used to promote good energy management by organisations and are mandatory for many public buildings like hospitals, academies, museums and council offices in England & Wales.  A DEC is usually accompanied by an Advisory Report (AR), due to be renamed as a Recommendation Report (RR), which makes suggestions as to how energy can be used more efficiently by the organisation.

To find out more about obtaining a Display Energy Certificate – click here.

To find out more about training to produce Display Energy Certificates – click here.

DEC Example
An example Display Energy Certificate (DEC)

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An Energy Performance Certificate or EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.  It also provides an assessment of the impact the property has upon the environment using a similar scale for emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2).

EPCs are available for both domestic and non-domestic properties but they are both different.  The process involved in producing a non-domestic EPC is more complex and both certificates are formatted differently.  In both cases the certificate comes with recommendations for improving the energy efficiency of the building.  For domestic properties these are included on the certificate whilst for non-domestic premises they are provided in a separate report.

To find out more about getting an Energy Performance Certificate for a domestic property – click here.

To find out more about getting an Energy Performance Certificate for a non-domestic property – click here.

To find out how you can qualify to provide Energy Performance Certificates – click here.

How can I check if there is a valid EPC on a domestic property? How can I check the current rating?

There are lots of reasons you may wish to check a Domestic EPC.  You might want to find out if you already have a valid EPC for your property or see what improvements you can make to save money on your energy bills.  You may have lost a paper copy of a certificate and need to obtain a replacement.

In the United Kingdom all EPC’s have to be lodged on central registers for each administration.  These registers are available online to search and download EPC reports in pdf format.  Each administration has its own register and you must comply with the terms and conditions for using these sites.  Typically you can search using the postcode and address or the Report Reference Number printed on the report or provided by the Energy Assessor.

England & Wales

In England and Wales the central register held by the Department for Communities and Local Government.



In Scotland all Domestic EPC’s have to be lodged on a central register held by the Energy Saving Trust.


Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland all Domestic EPC’s have to be lodged on a central register held by the Department of Finance and Personnel.


Do I have to follow the EPC recommendations?

Put simply, no.

When the Energy Performance Certificate is issued it will include some recommendations to help you save energy, reduce your energy costs and reduce your CO2 emissions.  The certificate will also give you an idea of the typical cost of making these improvements and the savings you might see on your energy bills.

However, these improvements are not mandatory and it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to make them.  You will want to consider how quickly the savings will pay for the improvements and what impact the changes will have on your property.  In some cases you may not even be permitted to carry out the necessary works for example, you may live in a conversation area and the changes may not be permitted.

In the future some buildings with very low ratings may have to have improvements carried out to improve their overall rating.  Even so, it will be up to the owners to decide which improvements they wish to make.  From April 2018, landlords will not be permitted to rent out most properties in England and Wales with an F or G EPC rating to a new tenant.

What is a Domestic EPC? How long is it valid?

A Domestic Energy Performance Certificate (commonly called an EPC) contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs.  It also provides recommendations about improvements that can be made to reduce energy use and save money.  An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

This website uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. Additionally we may collect information you agree to share with us. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy.