WARNING: This exemption is only available until April 2019 due to changes being made to the legislation. After this, landlords will be required to fund improvements up to a £3500 cap.
A Landlord is only required to make improvements to meet the minimum standard if they can do so at no cost to themselves. No cost funding can come from a range of sources including:
- Green Deal Finance,
- ECO help to heat funding,
- Local Authorities home energy efficiency grants,
- any other source not repaid by the landlord,
- any combination of the above.
For general advice and assistance on energy efficiency funding, landlords can contact the Energy Savings Advice Service on 0300 123 1234. For scheme specific information landlords should:
- Green Deal Finance: Search for a local Green Deal Provider (details can be found on the Green Deal Finance Company website www.gdfc.co.uk) or through the enquiry form on the GDFC website;
- ECO help to heat programme: Contact the Energy Savings Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, (where appropriate the landlord may need to ask their tenant to contact ESAS themselves);
- Local Authority funding: Contact their local Authorities for information on any home energy efficiency grants available.
Note: The New Regulations
On 19th December 2017 the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) launched a new consultation to amend the Regulations. The consultation concluded on 13 March 2018, and legislation has subsequently been made to introduce a funding cap. From April 2019 Landlords will be required to make improvements to a property up to the cap (currently £3500 per property) before being able to claim an exemption. At the same time the original “no cost” exemptions will be removed.
Further information can be found on the BEIS website on GOV.UK